The 1st official weekend of summer is 2 weeks away! Yep, two weeks from today kicks off Memorial Day weekend and the start of summer or bathing suit season. Are you ready?
By this time of year most people have started, quit, restarted, quit again, and restarted yet again their resolutions to…do what ever it is they resolved to do. For some of us the goal was to lose weight…others just wanted to firm up those jiggling bits, others may have started with a cleanse and set out to eat better. That’s the problem when it’s not about a life style change and it’s just a quick fix it rarely sticks.
I did enjoy the short-lived lull at the gym after the New Year’s Resolutions got dropped and before the summer slim down crowd arrived. Now the gym is jam’n with the summer quick fixers. Yep, I don’t have much faith in them. They’ll keep coming till about Memorial Day but I’m confident that the gym will be back to a low roar vs. the chaos about a minute into Memorial Day weekend.
Way back when…in my March 18th blog I recommended a Spring Resolution. I bet you wish you would have started back then. The good news is today is the first day of the rest of your life. Let’s be honest…just a little weight lose or an inch less here and/or there always lifts the spirits and you can do a lot in two weeks if you are 100% committed. So forget the New Year’s and Spring resolutions…how about it? We’ve got two weeks until bathing suits are a regular fixture of our wardrobe. Are you in? Are you ALL IN?
Good! Then stop reading my blog and dwelling on coulda, shoulda, woulda…and go pull out your fitness gear, dust off your gym membership card, and get to the gym! Or get outside! It’s the nicest weather of the year right now…so frolic in the sun. But make sure you push yourself. Oh and don’t forget that it’s not just about burning calories…you gotta watch what goes in too. Weight lose requires a calorie deficit.
While we are dusting off our gym gear and membership cards I thought I’d freshen up my advice on how to lose weight by Memorial Day. Originally this advice was for a pound a week and I posted it ten weeks out. To see some immediate results it’s gonna take a full court press, no messing around, no trying – only doing!
My advice to lose a few pounds by Memorial Day:
- Start counting calories, protein, carbs and fat. Determine the max number of calories you should consume per day. There are a lot of online resources that offer calorie calculators. Chris, my trainer, has one on his site. Click here to use his calculator and read more about nutrition.
- Eat Breakfast. I’m talking about a high-protein breakfast, i.e. 30g of protein. The easiest breakfast is a protein shake. Everyone has time to make a protein shake. You can even drink it on the way to work. Don’t have a blender? Buy pre-made protein shakes. No excuses.
- No carbs at night. Unless it comes from a green, red, orange or yellow vegetable. So no dessert, no bread, no pasta, no potatoes, no sugar.
- Drink water, don’t drink calories and carbs. I can’t imagine a bigger waste of calories and carbs than a beverage. I don’t care if it’s fat-free. The only exception is a protein drink. Strive for 8 x 8 (eight, eight ounce glasses per day).
- Get moving! Walk/run outside, ride a bike, or use the treadmill. Got a gym membership? Use it. Not only will this help you burn more calories…you’ll feet better too.
- Spring clean your pantry. If you have any food weaknesses get rid of them immediately! If it’s not in the house it makes it harder to cheat.
- Forgive yourself when you slip. It’s okay to fail! We are flawed by nature, so don’t quit if you cannot maintain perfection in your fitbattle. Just dust yourself off and start again.
- Listen for negatives and make them positives. Remember we are the biggest enemy we have in the fitbattle. So catch yourself when you are talking yourself out of fighting a good fight. You can do it. You deserve it. You are worthy of the effort. Yes it does matter. Think about it…imagine how great it will feel to lose a few pounds.
- NEW…hang your bathing suit in a place that you’ll see it every day. This will help you keep your eye on the prize.
- NEW…trade in those carb filled sweet summer cocktails for low or zero carb cocktails. Try vodka with club OR bacardi and diet coke vs. those yummy sugary cocktails. You’d be shocked how many calories a Lemon Drop Martini has.
Have a great weekend! Until Monday! Kathi